The Claims Supervisor supervises a team of examiners in the investigation of insurance claims for property or commercial losses based on coverage, appraisal, and verifiable damage. They provide leadership to their assigned team to assure maximum quality and efficiency and adherence to Department of Insurance regulations and internal Claims practices and policies.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Adjust reserves and provide reserve recommendations to ensure reserving activities are consistent with company policies.
- Confer with Claims management and/or legal counsel on claims involving litigation.
- Enter claim transactions, such as payments, reserves, notes, and other documentation in a clear and concise manner.
- Examine claims investigated by examiners, including further investigation of questionable claims to determine payment authorization.
- Apply claims technical knowledge and human relations skills to promote fair and prompt settlement of claims.
- Conduct daily diary reviews on claim files to insure status letters are sent to policyholders timely and in accordance with Department of Insurance regulations.
- Review and approve claims within designated authority level.
- Supervise examiners to ensure they have followed CFP IA Guidelines.
- Verify and analyze data used in settling claims to ensure validity and that settlement is in Understanding of fraudulent and illegal practices.
- Maintains compliance with the Department of Insurance and Company procedures.
- Supervises team of claims examiners, verifies coverage, and authorizes timely payments to policyholders
- Reviews examiners correspondences to policyholders for accuracy and completeness.
- Communicates to examiners and/or others involved to secure missing information.
- Promptly negotiates settlements, making sure that the settlement reflects the actual insured losses while ascertaining that the insurer is protected from invalid claims in accordance with company practices and procedures.
- Evaluates, coaches, and leads assigned examiners in accordance with company human resources and claims processes and procedures.
- Leads and participates in special projects to improve department quality, efficiency, and customer service.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Working experience with MS-Office (especially Word and Excel) is required.
- Property claims experience and excellent customer service.
- Comprehensive understanding of policy contract/statutes and claims processes. Previous claim handling experience in Property Field, SIU and Subrogation Claim Handling.
- Certified in CEA and Fair Claims Settlement Practice preferred.